The Demise of "Moby Dick"
Moby Dick, age 11 of Hussar Alberta, passed away ~14:00 Tuesday 11Dec2018, by the John Deer dealer just outside of Rosedale Alberta, in the company of his loving and stupid owner still sitting in the drivers' seat. Born in Ottawa Ontario of uncertain first owners, an orphaned Moby was adopted by the current owner, Captain Hook (apologies to Captain Ahab, but I have an amputated right hand, not leg) in July 2008, with the primary intent of hauling around OH^3 members (the drinking club with a running problem).
Moby will always be remembered as a first class and dependable ride, accomodative of up to 15 passengers (including driver), and leaves us with fond memories of travels throughout Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC, Massachusettes, Ottawa-to-Washington DC, and wherever else I've forgotten.
Three of the four benches still serve loyally as front room furniture in the house. Additionally, Moby is survived by a rich set of tools, emergency gear and clothing, a broom, and my gym gear.
Moby's lifelong friend and owner is dressed in black (and blue and red) as a sign of mourning and respect.
"... Thar she blows ..."
(first posted 20Dec2018)
Car: GM Express 3500 van, 2007 (christened "Moby Dick" by Birdie in Ottawa).
Location : on the two lane #10 highway, ~1.5 km West of Rosedale Alberta.
Map of Hussar-Rosedale-Drumheller
Drumheller Online news coverage
Directory of available files for this webpage: including pictures.
Accident report and analysis
I will post this later...
Facebook comments as of 22Dec2018
Yves P Oh no! I have fond memories of this van. It looks like you were inches away from being obliterated. Have you been released from the hospital already? Glad you're ok.
Al T Moby Dick served Summer LAFFTER well. RIP MD.
Al T Glad you are ok. I hope you didn't lose a leg? Might be a good thing though. I remember you always used to swim in circles. With one leg you might be able to go straight.
- William Neil Howell You wouldn't be (believe) how well - scratched & bruised, wimpy rib. Friends said I should be dead - but I argued with that.
- Sarah Denis I saw the photos from your website. You are one lucky guy. Take care of you
David D So glad you survived.
- William Neil Howell Hmm, I'll think about it...
Nosa J. Live Holy shit, proof you are one of god's great prototypes: too crazy to kill, and too wild to die. Glad you are OK, maybe consider buying one of those John Deere's as a replacement vehicle
- David D It's amazing how much damage a little tree can cause. Oh, it was a big tank, - - - in the background., Take care.
- William Neil Howell Yeah, it is funny how it looks like the tree did the damage. I woe (owe) my life to the truck driver - he swerved to avoid me, but could have been in big trouble if he went into the ditch!
- Denzil F Hang in Bill, I must still visit you on one of my Alberta trips. Any driving lessons you can pass on from your accident? "Next time I'll..."
- David D Check to see if the steering was the cause: Oh!! again! there is no steering to check. Imagine that.
Reuben H wow, glad you're ok but what made you think you should take on a tractor trailer with two gigantic cylinders of pressurized explosive gas? Perhaps something can be said about putting Artificial Intelligence in charge of driving our cars...and maybe even giving them special license plates, like MINDCODE
- William Neil Howell Never thought of that - kind of like a grim reaper?
Alison S Bloody hell Hook. Look after yourself.X
Roger B And just last night on the RH3 we toasted you, Cpt. Hook, and now we will never jinx things again!
Rob H Holy moly you were lucky! Scary!
Elizabeth M Hurry, and get body back together. RIP MD.
Kent W That's a crime worthy of a down down -and a chorus line of "show me your t1ts". Be careful Hook 9-7=2 lives left!
- William Neil Howell "what made you think" - what? think? I don't want to start that. Maybe if I team up with a telepathic rat : Global Highlights: Neuroengineering towards Whole-Brain Emulation and Mind Uploading
Strangely, I would not have been able to predict the "telepathic rats", which was done in 2013. Was this substantial? What does it mean? Are rats firmly ahead of humans now?
- William Neil Howell I've met Ted Berger a couple of time, and bought his copy of his book from him "Replacement parts for the brain"
- Reuben H thats a really interesting list, let alone the telepathic ones. I recall in learning in psych 100, 1987, i laughed about researchers who thought they could train a worm or something to do a task, then kill that trained worm and feed it to another then expect the new fed worm to perform the task...jokes on me. If the rats can drive cars and brew beer then yes they're smarter than most of us
Email comments as of 22Dec2018
Subject: The Demise of "Moby Dick"
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:59:10 -0700
From: Bill Howell. Hussar. Alberta. Canada
To: Trish W. Cousin. Airdrie. Alberta
Here's the link (still have junk to put up - maybe after New Years) :
Hopefully Jack will want to buy the van... great restoration project.
Subject: Re: The Demise of "Moby Dick"
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:21:52 +0000 (UTC)
From: Trish W.
Bill..I am you are hurting a bit it but glad you came through it like you did. That is some serious s**t. ...Jack said he will pass on the restoration offer.
Subject: Van conversion
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 15:15:27 +0000
From: Michael W
To: Trish W., Bill Howell. Hussar. Alberta. Canada
I spoke with Bill about his van and was disappointed to hear that you declined to restore it, it doesn't look like it would be that hard. Anyway, I was wondering, if you don't want to restore it, maybe instead of restoring it maybe you would consider finishing the van conversion that Bill started from a full size van to a mini van, it looks like Billy already did most of that work and you would just have to finish hooking up a few of the hoses. Let me know if you want any help with it.
Oh yeah, and thanks for the jacket, I think it will be the best Christmas present I get this year.
Subject: Re: The Demise of Moby Dick
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 09:19:23 -0800
From: Glenn W.
To: Bill Howell. Hussar. Alberta. Canada
Billy,. Is that a picture of mini Moby?